With a membrane area of only 336 cm² the Alfa Laval LabUnit M10 is the smallest and most compact of the cross-flow membrane filtration plants offered by Alfa Laval for ultrafiltration and microfiltration. It is a fully integrated system and a popular choice for educational purposes and research and development work
Instructions and Manuals
Fully integrated system
The Alfa Laval LabUnit M10 is an extremely versatile, yet easy to use, unit for process development and optimization, scale-up as well as training purposes. The flexibility to install and test two different membranes simultaneously makes it an efficient tool for initial membrane selection.
The Alfa Laval LabUnit M10 can be used with the complete range of flat sheet membranes offered by Alfa Laval for ultrafiltration and microfiltration.
Alfa Laval LabStak® M10
The Alfa Laval LabStak® M10 unit installed in the Alfa Laval LabUnit M10 is also available as a separate test unit for the same applications as the Alfa Laval LabUnit M10, and with the same distinct properties.
- fully integrated yet flexible system comprising an Alfa Laval LabStak® M10 complete with necessary pump, pipework, valves, heat exchanger and instrumentation
- easy exchange of membranes
- transparent plate for observation of cross-flow
- simultaneous test of two different membrane types
- high operating temperature (80°C)
- small test media volume
- flow pattern similar to that of larger modules
- all components in compliance with FDA and EEC regulations, allowing use within food and pharmaceutical processing applications
How it works
Flow diagram of typical installation
A plate-and-frame unit is designed with open channels across the membrane surface. The feed stream/retentate flows through these.
The membrane itself is supported by hollow plates with numerous slots that allow the permeate to collect and be removed from the unit via the permeate collecting tubes.
Plate-and-frame units use the membrane itself, aided by lock rings or strips, to seal off the feed/retentate from mixing into the permeate channels. This also prevents any leaks from the plate stack itself.
Small-scale and pilot laboratory equipment
Alfa Laval offers a wide range of small-scale and pilot laboratory plants based on either plate-and-frame modules or full-fit spiral elements - or a combination of both.