Lube oil treatment
The quality of your lube oil determines engine lifetime. Efficient oil cleaning is crucial for minimizing marine engine wear and damage, and ensuring consistent operation at peak performance. Separators and automatic filters are recommended by engine manufacturers for continuous cleaning of circulating lube oil due to their high capacity in removing dirt, insoluble combustion products and water.
Complete lube oil treatment solutions
- Reduce friction leading to engine component wear
- Protect engine components against harmful deposits
- Maintain efficient heat transfer by keeping the lube oil viscosity low
- Avoid downtime and expensive repairs
- Maximum engine efficiency and service life
- Protecting your marine engine and other sensitive equipment with Alfa Laval lube oil treatment solutions ensures they continue to provide the service you expect
- Filters integrated in the system retain residues (particles) from being transferred back to the engine
- Separators installed in bypass to the main lube oil service system of the engine remove combustion residues, water and other smaller mechanical contaminants
Longer lasting and cleaner lube oil with Alfa Laval MIB 503 Separator
Aboard the Prins Maurits – a Dutch fishing vessel – Chief Engineer Auke van Slooten has doubled the life expectancy of his main engine’s lube oil, saving 1,400 L of oil a year and nearly two hours of cleaning time per week using an Alfa Laval MIB 503 Separator.
Alfa Laval lube oil treatment
Lubrication oil is an essential part of vessel operations and plays an important role in engine efficiency and overall engine lifetime. The cleaner you can keep the lubrication oil, the better it is for the engine. Effective cleaning also means the oil needs to be replaced less often, saving time and money in the long-term. Alfa Laval can offer the optimal solution to ensure your lubrication oil stays cleaner and lasts longer, while helping to ensure that your engine stays protected.
How will 2020 fuel oil regulations affect your lube oil system?
The level of contaminants in the lube oil system depends mainly on engine type and output, as well as fuel type being run. Different engine types and fuel types can generate different amount and size ranges for the soot particles. Read this white paper to learn more about upcoming fuel oil regulations and their impact on marine lube oil maintenance.
Benefits snapshot: Cost-effective lube oil cleaning
Interested in low operational costs? This infographic gives you a snapshot of lube oil cleaning benefits, with a clear total cost of ownership comparison between different technologies.
Alfa Laval self-cleaning centrifuge (total discharge)
Alfa Laval solid-retaining centrifuge
Lube oil centrifugation
Lube oil centrifugation enables you to discard waste without the need to buy disposables such as filter cartridges. This makes lube oil cleaning more convenient, cost-effective and environment-friendly.
Powerful, productive and cost-effective
- Removes both water and solids in one operation
- Effective cleaning of even small particle sizes
- Minimal maintenance, enabling more process uptime
- Prolongs equipment lifetime
- Low total cost of ownership (TCO)
Lube oil centrifugation uses a centrifugal force 5,000 times stronger than gravity to separate particles of different densities and continually directs cleaned oil back into your process. The water is released while the contaminating solids are stored separately. If your processes result in low amounts of solid waste, you can generally remove it manually. Higher waste amounts are automatically cleaned. Lube oil centrifugation can also handle large cleaning volumes and a temporary high influx of water.
Contact us to discuss lube oil
Get ready to improve productivity and reduce equipment lifetime costs. Have any questions about lube oil cleaning? Need help choosing the right solution? Contact us to learn more about how our lube oil cleaning solutions can help your business.
Simply complete the form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.