The Alfa Laval LabUnit M37/38 is a fully integrated plate-and-frame system for ultrafiltration and microfiltration membrane processes. The module of this unit utilizes the same support plates and membranes as our full-scale membrane filtration modules. This makes the Alfa Laval LabUnit M37/38 a flexible tool for process development, up-scaling, membrane testing, quality assurance and small-scale production. Optional plate sets are available for feeds of different viscosity / solids content
Fully integrated system
The LabUnit M37/38 is a fully integrated desktop system comprising an Alfa Laval LabStak® M37/38 module, pump, pipework, valves and instrumentation.
The Alfa Laval LabUnit M37/38 offers the flexibility to simultaneously test up to 7 different membrane types. It can be fitted with the full range of Alfa Laval flat sheet membranes for ultrafiltration and microfiltration.
For the Alfa Laval LabUnit M37/38 we offer plate sets with diffent channel heights to optimize flow and pressure:
- M37 plate set
For high viscosity liquids
- M38H plate set
High channel, for medium viscosity liquids
- M38L plate set
Low channel, for low viscosity liquids
Alfa Laval LabStak® M37/38
The Alfa Laval LabStak® M37/38 installed in the Alfa Laval LabUnit M37/38 is also available as a separate test unit for the same applications as the Alfa Laval LabUnit M37/38, and with the same distinct properties.
- fully integrated system comprising an Alfa Laval LabStak® M37 or M38 complete with pump, pipework, valves, heat exchanger and instrumentation
- coupling possible to the by-pass stream of an industrial plant
- flow pattern similar to that of larger plants for up-scaling reliability
- different channel height options available to optimize flow and pressure
- flexible system design
- flexible membrane area between 0.11 and 1.05 m²
- simultaneous test of up to 7 different membrane types
- easy exchange of membranes
- high operating temperature (up to 80°)
- low internal volume
- all components in compliance with FDA regulations, allowing use within food and pharmaceutical processing applications
How it works
The plate-and-frame module from Alfa Laval is designed with open channels across the membrane surface. The feed stream/retentate flows through these.
The membrane itself is supported by hollow plates with numerous slots that allow the permeate to collect and be removed from the module via the permeate collecting tubes.
Plate-and-frame modules use the membrane itself, aided by lock rings or strips, to seal off the feed/retentate from mixing into the permeate channels. This also prevents any leaks from the plate stack itself.
Flow diagram of typical installation
Small-scale and pilot laboratory equipment
Alfa Laval offers a wide range of small-scale and pilot laboratory plants based on either plate-and-frame modules or full-fit spiral elements - or a combination of both.