CO2 gas coolers replace traditional air cooled condensers in refrigerating systems that have been designed for the use of CO2 as a single refrigerant. Such installations are becoming more and more widely used. AlfaBlue gas coolers are available for both horizontal and vertical air direction, either in single (M) or dual (D) coil execution.
- Innovative coil design based on small diameter copper tubes and corrugated aluminium turbo fins provides excellent heat transfer at minimal refrigerant charge. Standard fin spacing is 2.1 mm. Circuiting design is fully optimized to the thermodynamic properties of CO2. Stainless steel header tubes for on-site welding connections. Available in different fin thicknesses and fin spacings.
- Separate connections in the D series provide the opportunity for independent operation of both gas cooler coils.
- Frame construction provides high rigidity for protection against vibration and thermal expansion. Casing and framework of corrosion resistant pre-galvanized sheet steel (corrosion resistance class C4), epoxy coated white RAL 9002 on both sides. Separated fan sections.
- Available in four fan diameters (630, 800, 910 & 1000 mm) and five noise levels, power supply 400/50/3. Motors with external rotor, protection class IP 54 according to DIN 40050. Integrated thermo contacts provide reliable protection against thermal overload. EC fan motors available.
For a full overview of all available options and additional technical specifications please refer to the product leaflet.
- Refrigerant: carbon dioxide CO2
- Capacities: 20 - 450 kW
(air temperature = 35°C, CO2 at 90 bar, gas temperature in/out = 120/38°C)
How it works
Alfa Laval finned coil air heat exchangers have been designed to achieve an optimized exchange of thermal energy between air and a refrigerant or fluid. The ‘heart’ of our air heat exchangers is the finned coil, built up from a circuit of interconnected tube serpentines and fins to increase the heat exchanging surface. Thanks to the combination of key design variables (coil materials, coil geometry, casing design, fan type), air units are very versatile heat exchangers with a great variety of applications in many industries. Alfa Laval supplies finned coil air heat exchanger products for a wide variety of applications.
Air-cooled gas coolers
CO2 gas coolers replace traditional air-cooled condensers in refrigerating systems that have been designed for the use of CO2 as a single refrigerant. Such installations are getting more and more widely used. In air-cooled gas coolers the hot, compressed CO2 gas flows through the gas cooler coil and is cooled down by the ambient air that is forced through the coil. Due to the thermodynamic properties of CO2, there is no phase change in the gas cooler. In CO2 refrigerant systems the refrigerant gas is not liquefied until the next system component - the expansion valve (see illustration above). Air-cooled gas coolers operate with considerably higher pressures than air-cooled condensers.